Hello Again

by Julie on March 4, 2017 · 11 comments

Tap, tap, tap…is this thing on? Is anyone still out there?

It’s been nearly two years since I’ve written at The Family CEO, but recently I’ve felt compelled to check back in.

When we last spoke, I told you that our family’s finances were on autopilot in the very best possible way. We had paid off a lot of debt, grown our savings, put one child through college without debt, and were working on doing the same for the second child.

Two years later we’re still on track. Our debt remains in check (mortgage plus one car loan), we’ve put more money into savings and retirement accounts, and our second child is finishing his junior year in college and we have enough savings set aside to get him the rest of the way there.

With that last one being oh, so close to being off our payroll, we’re going through another transition of sorts. We’re turning our focus to what we want our life as true empty nesters to look like. Where do we want to live? How do we want to spend our time? How much do we need to have saved for retirement and how will we get there?

So I find myself back here ready to talk finances again. The things that are on my mind right now are:

• Houses…always houses. We recently did some long-awaited improvements to our house, but we know it’s not our forever house, so I keep pondering what that will someday look like.
  • Found money…I still love this fun, simple technique for paying down debt or saving.
  • Saving and investing for retirement.
  • Intentional spending, which to me means keeping expenses in check while continuing to live a life we love.

So if you’re still out there, let me know what’s been going on in your world since we last spoke.

I’ll be back on Monday with a found money update. Almost two years worth!

Jane March 4, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Great to see you back and learn how things are going.

Julie March 5, 2017 at 8:48 am

Thank you, Jane. Enjoying your new blog as well!

Janet March 5, 2017 at 8:25 am

So glad to see you back! Been following your other blog but miss the finance posts. I adopted several of your methods in the last several years and they’re working well for my family, so thank you. Can’t wait to read more!

Julie March 5, 2017 at 8:49 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell me that, Janet. Would love to know which methods are working for your family.

Elise March 5, 2017 at 11:03 am

I was very excited to see your post and am eagerly looking forward to more thoughts on all the topics that you mentioned. My husband and I find ourselves in a very similar position to yours. We have one child who graduated from college last May and is successfully employed and living on his own. Hurray!
We have one who is finishing his junior year of college and one who is finishing his freshman year of college. So we have been discussing all the questions that you articulated. What will this next phase of life look like for us? Are we on track with our retirement savings? What needs to be updated in this house that we have lived in for 17 years? Do we want to stay here or are we ready for a move?
It’s an exciting time of life but also a transition which always brings uncertainty. Really looking forward to your posts! Glad that you’re back.

Julie March 6, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Wow…we have a lot in common, Elise. And you’re so right…a time of transition but very exciting. Thanks for taking the time to say hello. If there’s anything you’re interested in reading about on the blog, please let me know!

Tracy K March 5, 2017 at 1:42 pm

I am so excited that you decided to come back to the Family CEO!! I always loved this blog and you made my day when I opened email this morning to find a new post. We have one adult child and another finishing his sophomore year of high school. I love all the tips, advice and inspiration you provided in the past and look forward to continuing this journey with you. I printed and filed the article your daughter wrote a few years ago about applying for scholarships throughout college. I’ve shared it with several friends throughout the years. Such valuable and wonderful advice and look forward to more of the same.

Julie March 6, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Tracy, it encourages me so much when someone tells me that what we talk about here on the blog has been helpful to them. Thank you for taking the time to tell me that! Seriously, it keeps me going!

And I’m thrilled that the article Lindsey wrote was valuable to you. What a compliment that you shared it with others. Looking forward to continuing the journey with you too…what a lovely way to put that.

Karen March 5, 2017 at 10:15 pm

Very excited and anxious to learn about all that you have to share! We’ve had some unexpected health issues that have set us back a bit (5 surgeries – torn ACL, torn rotator cuff, broken foot, etc. – in 16 months) so any helpful hints, especially ones that are tried and true, on getting back on track are welcomed:)

Karen March 5, 2017 at 10:19 pm

I should add that not all of the surgeries involved one person:) After re-reading my comment it sounds like one of our family members is way too accident-prone. These incidents were spread among a few of us, but we certainly hope that 2017 will not find us in the emergency room!

Julie March 6, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Oh gosh, Karen, you’ve had quite a lot of excitement over the last year or so. And not the good kind! Glad to hear it sounds like things that could be fixed. Hope you are all on the mend. Happy to have you along for the future!