Twitterature: July 2013 Edition

by Julie on July 15, 2013 · 9 comments

Anne at Modern Mrs. Darcy has a fun feature she does each month called Twitterature. She describes it as short, casual reviews of books you’ve been reading. They’re done Twitter-style, which explains the clever name, and I’ve long wanted to participate in Twitterature, since I’m rarely up for writing a long book review.

So it looks like this month is the month. Here’s what I’ve been reading:

Summer Sisters by Judy Blume

A book about friendship over the years. I loved the fact that the characters were so well-developed, although I strongly related to one main character and didn’t much care for the other. #compelling

Ladies’ Night by Mary Kay Andrews

Has the usual MKA elements of a woman wronged & a southern setting. Florida this time. Loved that the main character was a blogger and house renovator. #light #fun

The Drop by Michael Connelly

This was my first Connelly book, a double mystery with Connelly’s homicide detective, Harry Bosch, as the main character. It didn’t change my life but kept me interested. #entertaining

Beautiful Day by Elin Hilderbrand

Maybe my favorite EH book to date. Lots of interesting, complicated relationships playing out during a wedding weekend. Her Nantucket settings never disappoint. #highlyrecommend

Speaking of Twitter, all four authors are active there at @JudyBlume   @MKayAndrews  @Connellybooks and @ElinHilderbrand.

It’s always fun to follow and connect with an author on Twitter, especially if you’ve enjoyed their books. I mean how else are you going to have a peek into what Judy Blume is thinking? The Judy Blume.

You can see Anne’s Twitterature post for July, along with all the other linkups, here.

What have you been reading this summer? Anything good? Anything you want to warn us away from?

Note: This post contains my Amazon affiliate links, meaning if you make a purchase through one of the links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.

Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy July 15, 2013 at 2:11 pm

People keep telling me I need to read Elin Hilderbrand! It sounds like this one would be great to bring to the beach next month. :)

I’m smiling at the blogger/house renovator character in the Mary Kay Andrews book. Sounds like a fun read.

Julie July 15, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Bloggers will love Ladies’ Night because it includes so many things specific to us. And you definitely must give Elin Hilderbrand a try. Any of her books would be good beach reads, but I especially enjoyed Beautiful Day.

Shana Norris July 15, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I absolutely loved Summer Sisters when I read it a few years ago. I wish she’d write another adult novel.

Julie July 16, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I agree, Shana. Have you read Wifey and Smart Women by Blume? They were published in 1978 and 1983, but I’m thinking of giving them a try.

Shana Norris July 16, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I haven’t. I assume from the title they’re not YA? Maybe I should check them out!

Julie July 16, 2013 at 10:25 pm

No, they’re adult titles. I think I’ll put them on my ever expanding to-read list too.

Stacey July 15, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I loved the Summer Sisters book when I read it a while back! I have never read Mary Kay Andrews but I have friends who keep telling me I should :)

Julie July 16, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Stacey, MKA’s books are light and fun with sassy female characters. If that sounds good to you, you should give her a try.

Jackson July 16, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I absolutely loved a shocker of a novel, The Never List. Imagine two young women, good friends, who experience a terrible car accident Afterwards, they create a Never List, filled with precautions (things they must never do) to prevent future catastrophes.

Now imagine a predator who manages to break through their safeguards and who abducts them, testing every ounce of their resiliency, courage, hope.

I am not usually drawn to these types of books but this debut novel floored me.