DIY Set of Framed Map Prints

by Julie on March 7, 2013 · 14 comments

Set of framed map prints Title

Predictably, the kitchen remodel has spread into the adjoining family room, where i’ve been updating the colors and and some of the decor. As part of the family room decorating, I ordered a map of London to hang on the wall behind my couch.

When the print arrived it was smaller than I had expected and wasn’t going to work in either the frame or the spot that I had chosen for it.

So I decided to try out a look I had seen before, where a single map is divided up, placed in multiple frames, but hung as one piece.

After measuring, it turned out my map would fit perfectly into six, 8×10 frames, so off to Michael’s I went to find some inexpensive ones that would work. The ones I chose had a little bit of a tortoise shell look that I thought would work well with a map.

DIY framed map prints

I measured and re-measured to get the cuts just right. As it turns out, that level of perfection wasn’t required, because a small amount of each border was hidden when the maps went into the frames.

Map of london

Hanging was a little bit of trial and error. The wall behind the prints has a few extra holes. :)

Map of london prints

But overall, I love the look and will probably look at the map a lot this summer, while I’m missing my daughter who will studying abroad in London. (Tips from experienced parents welcomed.)

Set of framed map prints

Check out more easy things hang on the wall:

Do you like looking at maps? Have you decorated with them?

This post is part of Works for Me WednesdayThe William Morris Project, Creative Things Thursday and Tutorials Tips & Tidbits.

STEVEN J. FROMM, ATTORNEY, LL.M. (TAXATION) March 7, 2013 at 8:05 am

I love maps so I really like your idea here. It looks really cool and have never seen it set up this way. Amazing.

Julie March 8, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Thanks for the comment, Steven. Nice to hear from a fellow map lover.

Leilani March 7, 2013 at 1:58 pm

JUMPING UP AND DOWN AND CLAPPING!
I, too, studied in London and fell in love with the city. However, finding a large wall-sized map of the place is almost impossible to find or afford. Perfect idea. So excited for your daughter. Jealous! I would return to my little room in Russel Square in a heartbeat!

Julie March 8, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I’m so happy to hear you have good study abroad memories from London, Leilani. I have a feeling it’s going to be a life changing experience for my daughter. I’m excited for her too.

Rita@thissortaoldlife March 7, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Really like this idea, particularly with a map that has meaning. Now thinking about where/how we could do this…

Julie March 8, 2013 at 2:57 pm

So many possibilities, Rita. I think it would work anywhere. And I agree with your point about a map that has meaning.

Little House March 8, 2013 at 8:44 am

What a clever idea! It’s a unique spin on a framed map.

Julie March 8, 2013 at 11:22 am

I liked it when I saw it too, LH. It’s a little more interesting than just a framed map.

Peter Martinez March 8, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Love, Love, love this! I had the same idea last year, but with 19th century map of my home state of Florida. The shape of Florida however, was difficult to put into a few frames at a time.
Great work!!

Julie March 8, 2013 at 2:57 pm

That sounds like a fabulous map, Peter. But, yes, the shape would be challenging, unless you had a tall, narrow space. Thanks for the comment and the Tweet!

Pam March 8, 2013 at 3:27 pm

LOVE this idea, Julie! Next time when you have to hang multiple pictures, you should try the newsprint idea–cut newpaper templates the same size as your pictures and tape those on the walls where you want them. Then, you know just where to put your nails!

Julie March 8, 2013 at 10:22 pm

That’s a good tip, Pam. I’ve used it before but was lazy this time. ;)

Jamie September 26, 2013 at 9:11 am

Hi! How did you get the map to print on multiple pages?

Julie September 26, 2013 at 9:37 am

Jamie, the map was already printed in one piece and I cut it into multiple pages.