Book Club Report: What Alice Forgot

by Julie on February 1, 2013 · 15 comments

Louisa May Alcott QuoteOn Tuesday it was my turn to host book club at my house.

Our book club began 10+ years ago (no one can quite remember exactly the year) when our kids were all students at the same elementary school. There are 12 of us, and while there have been a few additions and subtractions over the years, the core group is still pretty much the same. The big difference is that now, instead of talking about home room teachers and soccer tryouts, we’re talking about college choices and even weddings and babies.

As it turns out, a lot can happen in ten years’ time, which is exactly what this month’s book – What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty — was about. Here’s how Amazon sums it up:

Alice Love is twenty-nine, crazy about her husband, and pregnant with her first child. So imagine Alice’s surprise when she comes to on the floor of a gym (a gym! She HATES the gym) and is whisked off to the hospital where she discovers the honeymoon is truly over — she’s getting divorced, , she has three kids, and she’s actually 39 years old. Alice must reconstruct the events of a lost decade, and find out whether it’s possible to reconstruct her life at the same time. She has to figure out why her sister hardly talks to her, and how is it that she’s become one of those super skinny moms with really expensive clothes. Ultimately, Alice must discover whether forgetting is a blessing or a curse, and whether it’s possible to start over…

This was one of our lighter book picks, and it was pretty much universally enjoyed by all of us. (That’s kind of rare.)

Lemon Meringue Pie Filling

A lemon meringue pie figures prominently in the plot at the end of the book, so I decided to attempt making one for the first time. I used this recipe from Better Homes & Gardens, although I did buy the refrigerated pie crust instead of making my own. (I’m adventurous but not THAT adventurous.)

Lemon Meringue Pie

A lemon meringue pie isn’t the easiest pie you’ll ever make, but it’s not quite as hard as I imagined either.

How to make meringueThe meringue is actually fun to watch come together. The mixer does all the work.

Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe

Our next book club pick is Killing Lincoln, quite a departure from this month’s pick.

What are you reading right now? Are you a book club member? Let’s talk books in the comments!

This post is part of Twitterature at Modern Mrs. Darcy.

Note: This post contains my referral links. See my disclosure policy for more info.

Kate February 1, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I read What Alice Forgot last fall and thought it was a fun, light-hearted read! I’ve read one other by Liane Moriarty already and hope to read her “Three Wishes” soon!

My book club doesn’t do an accompanying food item, but it is a fun idea!

Julie February 1, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I need to check out her other books, Kate. This was the first one I read too. We don’t always match food to our books, but occasionally something fits.

Kate February 1, 2013 at 1:26 pm

The Last Anniversary was just okay, but I’m looking forward to “Three Wishes” — it is about triplet sisters and as a triplet myself, I can say there’s very few fiction books out there about triplets!

Julie February 1, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Triplets…that’s awesome. :)

Pam February 1, 2013 at 5:55 pm

It was a great evening and your pie was fabulous! In fact…I’m wishing I had some of it right now. :)

Julie February 1, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Me too, Pam. It was fun, wasn’t it? A very lively group we have. :)

Carla February 2, 2013 at 8:15 am

Oh that looks fabulous!! yum!!

Julie February 3, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Thank you, Carla. Not everyone is a lemon meringue fan, but I certainly am. :)

Brick By Brick Investing | Marvin February 2, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I don’t belong to a book club at the moment. I’m currently reading “What Works On Wall Street” it is a monster of a book but very enlightening and reassuring to my investment principles.

Brick By Brick Investing | Marvin February 2, 2013 at 6:52 pm

BTW that pie looks absolutely delicious!!

Julie February 3, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Sounds like one to put on my library list, Marvin.

Molly February 3, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Hi Julie! Almost 4 years ago, I started a book club in Hong Kong as a way to meet people. It’s still going strong! I’ll participate by Skype now that we’re back in KC. Our book this month is Sarah’s Key – worth reading. Last year the one book that everyone loved (rare for that to happen) was Unbroken, the WWII story about Louis Zamperini.

Julie February 3, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Molly, that’s awesome. I’ve heard of Sarah’s Key, but not Unbroken. I’ll have to look them both up. Thanks for the recommendations. Nice to hear from you!

Melissa February 16, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I am going to add this to my reading list. Thanks for the suggestion!

Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy February 16, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I love that you brought a lemon meringue pie to book club! (Yes, that is perfect for that book!) I enjoyed that one, myself–I’m glad that you did, too.