Weekend Reading: Hooked on Houses Edition

by Julie on January 18, 2013 · 14 comments

All week long, Julia at Hooked on Houses has been featuring kitchen renovations on her blog, and it was such a treat to have her feature mine yesterday.

If you love houses and decorating, Hooked on Houses is not to be missed. Julia regularly showcases celebrity houses, readers’ houses, and — my favorite — movie houses.

Hooked on HousesShe even has a fun quiz on her blog so you can find out if you’re “hooked on houses.”

For instance does this statement from the quiz sound familiar?

I think the best time to take a walk is at dusk–after people have started turning on their lights, but before they have closed their blinds!

I’m (only a little) embarrassed to say that I know exactly what she’s talking about. I’m also relieved to know that I’m not the only one.

Anyway, thanks so much to Julia for including the Family CEO kitchen remodel on her blog. It’s a special thrill for me because I’ve been a reader of Hooked on Houses for a long, long time. I highly recommend you check it out — but I warn you — it’s addictive!

Here is some other weekend reading you may enjoy:

• Emily A. Clark writes about Preserved Boxwood. I’ll be honest, I didn’t know that this was a thing. But now that I do, I think I may even have a wreath made out of it. I’ll be on the lookout for more because my goal is to have more living plants in my home. Preserved boxwood may not be completely living, but it’s close enough for me. Plus I love the way it looks.
  • Kimberly Kesterke writes How I Paid Cash for an MBA Program in a guest post at Budgeting in the Fun Stuff. This girl thought way outside the box and got very creative. I was inspired by her dedication.
  • And Jeff Rose at Good Financial Cents has a helpful list of 70 Super Easy and Practical Ways to Save Money. The list is broken down into categories like food, housing, transportation, and healthcare, so it’s easy to find some that will work for you.

So tell me, are you hooked on houses? Do you try to peek in houses when you walk (in a completely non-stalkerish way of course.) Do you have a favorite movie house?

If you enjoyed this post and would like more, enter your email address in the box below and future posts from The Family CEO will be sent to your email inbox for free. Your email will not be shared. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email:

Rebekah January 18, 2013 at 11:24 am

I saw your kitchen yesterday at Hooked on Houses. Congrats for being selected but I’m not surprised because your kitchen looks fabulous!!! We can walk to 3 small subdivisions and I love “peeking” into homes. It’s the ones that are too far from the road to get a glimpse inside that intrigue me though.

Julie January 18, 2013 at 5:05 pm

LOL…we could so be friends, Rebekah. Good luck getting a look at those houses and thanks for the nice words.:)

Mary January 18, 2013 at 11:55 am

Oh Julie!

Your kitchen is gorgeous! :-) I loved the old one as well but your updating in the new one is so chic! I also love the drapes in your eating area. I am such a drapes girl, instead of blinds. I find the drapes so much warmer and cozier. Plus, I think they are a lot more energy efficient.

I have been so inactive with blogging as I have been so busy finishing up homeschooling my son and preparing him for the high school entrance exam he took this past Saturday. He goes to high school in the fall! Yeah! He’s so excited. But even though my internet time is rather spotty these days, I still get the email from your blog and so enjoy reading it…even though I don’t always get a chance to leave a comment. But I just couldn’t pass up the chance to comment on your kitchen. Good job! And I know you did it within a great budget! :-)

Your blog is just wonderful and has such helpful information. I so enjoy reading your blog, Sandy’s (over at Reluctant Entertainer) and Sheila’s (over at Eat2Gather). You three are just the sweetest and most helpful bloggers – and just wonderful people in general! – on the internet.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Much love to you and your family,
Mary

Julie January 18, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Mary, you are so sweet. Thank you so much. I’m so impressed that you have homeschooled your son. Good luck to him in high school. I hope you get time to blog more (I’m still subscribed!), but whatever you do, have fun with it. And thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. It’s so nice to hear from you.

Mary January 18, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the kind words about homeschooling. I can’t believe it’s been 8 years!

I look forward to getting back to blogging once Ben is in high school. As you know, I dabbled in it once we hit middle school because he was more independent…but I found that I really just didn’t have enough time to devote to it. Overall, no matter what the grade, homeschooling is a huge time commitment. But as Ben heads off to school, things are going to be quite different around here.

I am going to miss having my buddy around during the day, but I am so excited for him. The school where he is going lets rising 9th graders go to summer school to help them get used to the transition from middle school to high school. Ben can’t wait! :-) (I think it’s so cute that he is excited about “summer school”)

So, maybe come June, I’ll be back in the swing of writing more regurlarly. And aren’t you a sweetheart for staying subscribed to me! :-) I certainly have enjoyed being subscribed to your blog.

Have a great weekend.

Much love,
Mary

Crystal January 18, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Congrats! And thanks for the mention. :-)

Julie January 18, 2013 at 5:09 pm

You’re welcome, Crystal. :)

Sharon January 19, 2013 at 12:07 pm

How on earth did I miss your update????? Oh.my.gosh. Julie, it is incredible!!! What a wonderful transformation, I LOVE the color!! I decided on subway tiles as our backsplash and I can’t wait to finish now! Thanks for the incentive!!

Julie January 22, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Sharon, I can’t wait to see your backsplash. And thanks for the nice words. :)

jeff Rose January 21, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Thanks for linking up!

Jules@Fat Guy,Skinny Wallet January 22, 2013 at 8:27 am

I was laughing so hard at the first comment. That is so me. I am always looking lol It is so wrong, but if the lights on,don’t you just have to look?!

Julie January 22, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Absolutely you have to look, Jules!

Little House January 22, 2013 at 8:49 am

I love browsing Hooked on Houses because, well, I’m hooked! I’m going to check out your kitchen renovation right now. :)

Julie January 22, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Not surprised you’re hooked, considering your name and all, LH. :)