For more posts like these, please visit my new blog, Creating This Life.
Here’s my first piece of advice on kitchen remodels: don’t schedule one during the holiday periods of Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Unfortunately, that’s when our number with the contractor came up. It’s all done now, though, and I finally have some pics to share with you.
And a few more shots:
Here is what we hoped to accomplish with the remodel and how it played out:
- Problem: Our island storage was just one, large space, which meant a lot of towering (and often crashing) stacks of pots and pans.
- Solution: The old island was removed and a new island was built. We got shelves that slide out for pots and pans, divided vertical storage for cutting boards and cookie sheets, and we discovered we had room to make the island six inches longer, which gave us more countertop on one side of the cooktop.
- Problem: The area to the right of the refrigerator had an open shelf in an unusual size (built for the previous owners’ TV) and the counter space below it was small and cramped and not very useful. It became a catchall.
- Solution: This upper cabinet was pulled out and a new cabinet that went all the way to the countertop was built to give us a built-in area for a full-size microwave and shelves for cookbooks (a must-have for me). We also got an extra drawer out of the deal.
- Problem: Our refrigerator opening was too short for a full-size refrigerator.
- Solution: Our contractor pulled the existing refrigerator cabinet out and raised it up three inches, putting decorative moulding around the bottom that actually looks better than the old moulding did.
- Problem: The door to the appliance garage was a sliding one that didn’t work well. You needed two free hands to open and close it.
- Solution: A new cabinet door was built to match our existing cabinet doors.
- Problem: The main lighting in the kitchen was a large, fluorescent box light. The plastic that covered the light tubes was prone to come crashing down.
- Solution: The fluorescent box light was eliminated and replaced with 4 canned lights and two pendant lights over the island.
- What we had: White, formica countertops with a wood edge that had seen much better days.
- What we chose: Granite countertops in Giallo Ornamental.
- What we had: A white tile backsplash with hunter green and burgandy accent tile running through it.
- What we chose: White, beveled subway tile with a white rope border accent.
- What we had: Wallpaper in a fruit design with a white background that completed the white (cabinets) on white (countertops) on white (walls) look of the kitchen. :)
- What we chose: A dark neutral paint to give the kitchen an earthier feel and to contrast against the white cabinets.
- What we had: Brass hinges on the cabinets and oil-rubbed bronze pulls. (The pulls were my desperate attempt to update the kitchen without spending a lot of money).
- What we chose: New hinges and cabinet pulls in brushed nickel.
- What we had: A popcorn ceiling.
- What we chose: A ceiling with knock-down texture.
- I wanted the kitchen to have as much charm as I could give it, so we had three of the cabinet doors converted to glass fronts. I played around with which doors to do this with by removing the doors and living with them for a while. Eventually we decided on the doors on either side of the sink, where we keep dishes and glasses. All the cabinets with ugly stuff behind them remained wood.
- We added crown moulding at ceiling height around the entire kitchen. I had hoped that this would visually shrink the area of above the cabinets, since we decided not to go to the expense of adding new upper cabinets in the kitchen. That didn’t work the way I wanted it to, but it was still a pretty inexpensive way to add some more detail to the kitchen.
- Happy accident: when we took the wood blinds down for painting, we decided we loved having the windows bare. So I scrapped my plan of buying roman shades for the windows and put up drapery panels on rings instead. They’re easy to close at night for privacy, and during the day we can take advantage of the light and view. We’ve had several friends and family ask us if we got new windows.
Thanks for coming along for my little tour. Not gonna lie, it was a long few months of planning and then disruption, but I’m really happy with the result and I feel lucky that we got to do it.
This post is part of Cowgirl Up, The William Morris Project, Best of 2012, Metamorphosis Monday, Making the World Cuter Monday, Take a Look Tuesday, Tuesday’s Treasures, January Before and After, Show and Tell Friday, Finer Things Friday, Feathered Nest Friday, and Weekend Bloggy Reading.
Click here to subscribe to Creating This Life or click here to visit. I hope to see you there! - Julie