Step One of the Kitchen Remodel

by Julie on October 19, 2012 · 25 comments

First a little background.

Our house is 20 years old and we’ve lived in it for 11 of those years. For many of those years I have dreamed of a kitchen remodel. Finally this summer a few things came together and it was time.

And it’s a good thing because things had started giving out around the kitchen. The microwave was the first to go (we’re using my daughter’s dorm room microwave right now). And the dishwasher is clearly on it’s last legs. In honor of football season, we’re playing an over/under game with how many cycles it has left.

But this week we got to see the first concrete progress when the wallpaper came down.

Here’s an old shot of the kitchen wallpaper. It’s fruit on a white background. I really loved that fruit when we first moved in, because it matched all my jewel-toned furniture and decor. But it’s time had clearly come.

And here’s how it looks from the same vantage point today:

Clearly, these are unstaged shots, complete with a teenager at the refrigerator and a pizza box on the island. I have a feeling we’re going to be eating a lot of pizza in the coming weeks.

Here’s a different angle with the wallpaper before:

And today:

I was pretty sure that the burgandy paint was what was behind the wallpaper, because the inside of my pantry is still painted that color. And I’m glad I got a chance to see the dark paint on my walls. Since I’m keeping the cabinets white, I think a dark paint shows them off much better. The wallpaper with the white background certainly didn’t do much for them.

Next week the contractor arrives to start making big changes. I’ll be blogging about the progress and what went into some of the many decisions we’ve had to make.

I can tell you that Pinterest (my kitchen pins) has been so valuable in helping me visualize different scenarios. I have a big stack of magazines, too, but usually find myself turning to Pinterest.

And if you like to look at pretty kitchens as much as I do, here are some links to some great eye candy:

Have any of you undergone a kitchen remodel? What would your dream kitchen include?

This post is part of Metamorphisis Monday.

Kristia {Family Balance Sheet} October 19, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I look forward to seeing the after photos. We renovated our kitchen 10 years ago and I already wish we could do it again. Styles were so different even 10 years ago and I have a completely different outlook regarding a kitchen–it was before we had kids and I hardly ever cooked.

Good luck!

Julie October 19, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Kristia, knowing what you know now, what would you do differently?

Stan @DebtsnTaxes October 20, 2012 at 1:16 am

We haven’t remodeled the kitchen and probably won’t (the home is only 12 years old). Our kitchen walls are somewhat similar to the color that was behind your wallpaper and I kind of like it. Then again I really don’t mind color schemes, that’s more of the wifes thing. We actually have a spare bedroom with bright pink walls (must of been the previous owners daughters room). It’s ugly looking but we don’t really use it that often but do plan to eventually paint it. Good luck with your remodel.

Julie October 20, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Thanks, Stan!

Amy @ JobCred CV Builder October 21, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Nice job. Thanks for the great kitchen remodeling reference guide. My dream plan is an L or U-shaped kitchen design that may allow me to chit chat with eating family or guests while I’m cooking.

Julie October 22, 2012 at 9:18 am

Sounds like you have a galley kitchen, Amy?

Jackie October 21, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Wow it looks really different with the dark paint instead of the wallpaper. We haven’t technically remodeled a kitchen, but we did do an update and I’m SOOO glad we did. We got rid of our horrible 70s fake butcher block countertops and replaced them with granite, painted our cabinets, and tore out the 80s linoleum and replaced that with pergo. It looks like a completely different kitchen now.

Julie October 22, 2012 at 9:17 am

Sounds wonderful, Jackie. Those changes no doubt raised your resale value and increased your enjoyment of the kitchen.

CincyCat October 22, 2012 at 8:03 am

We’ve been in our house for 10 years, and “remodeled” our kitchen piece by piece over the last 5 years. It’s a kitchen – dining combo, with an arch in the middle (very popular in the 1940′s). Both rooms together are about 14′ square.

The last time the kitchen had a full make-over was in 1987, but everything still worked just fine when we bought the house in 2002, so we didn’t see the point in throwing it all out. The first thing we did do was to take down the pink flowered wallpaper, and paint the walls a deep red. Then we changed our minds, and painted them a sort-of peanut butter color, which they are still today. It’s a very warm and cozy color, and we love it!

One by one, the applicances started failing, and we just replaced them as-needed. Now they are all the same brand, with stainless steel & black accent finishes (“all stainless” would have looked WAY too modern for the style of house.) The cabinets are cream colored, with brushed nickel hardware. The counters are now a higher end laminate with a granite pattern. (A real-estate agent had to look very close to tell whether they were laminate or Corian.)

We’re very happy with the kitchen now… :)

Julie October 22, 2012 at 9:19 am

Your kitchen makeover sounds lovely, Cincy. I’ll bet your home is charming.

Little House October 22, 2012 at 8:48 am

Can’t wait to see the renovations. I love browsing before and after kitchen redesigns. It’s quite amazing how with a little creativity an old, out-of-date kitchen can transform into a gorgeous master piece. And Pinterest helps!

Julie October 22, 2012 at 9:20 am

There’s nothing better than a good before and after, is there LH? Pinterest is great for that.

Julie Blanner October 22, 2012 at 10:40 am

What color do you plan to paint the space? Your kitchen renovation will reward you with each dinner you cook and meal you share. Can’t wait to see the final reveal!

Julie October 22, 2012 at 10:55 am

Julie, I plan to go with a dark neutral. Probably a taupe or greige color. I’m waiting to pick it until the granite is in.

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside October 22, 2012 at 11:33 am

I’m stopping by from Met Monday. My kitchen cabinets are white also and I love them! My walls are more of a medium tone but I also have white beadboard on the lower half of my walls. Blessings, Tammy

Julie October 22, 2012 at 11:38 am

Hi Tammy, I just popped over to take a look at your kitchen and it’s lovely! Very similar to what I’m planning. Thanks for your comment.

Pat @ Life At Lydias House October 22, 2012 at 11:39 am

Dropping by from Met Monday. Good luck with your BIG project! I will look forward to seeing the progress!

Julie October 23, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Thank you, Pat!

Brick By Brick Investing | Marvin October 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Can’t wait to see the progress. We are currently stay with my parents until our house is built. I was talking to my dad about how he needs to remodel but as I’m sure you know some people are just set in their ways ;-)

Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter October 25, 2012 at 10:24 am

My parents are also redoing their kitchen. I love renos because they can feel so refreshing. I am looking forward to seeing what things look like when you’re done.

Crystal @ Get A Copywriter October 25, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Wow, just removing the wall paper helped a ton! And I think you are totally right, a darker paint will definitely make your cabinets pop. Maybe a deep blue or green? Anyway, good luck!

Jane October 29, 2012 at 1:46 am

Its looking totally different without wall paper.One needs to keep changing the interior of kitchen to love it more.
Discover More Here

Marcus January 20, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I’m interested in seeing the final renovations. I love watching the befores and afters on HGTV. As stated in another comment, it is amazing to see how quickly the styles change. What style do you think you are going with? Something more modern?

Im looking at a house now to purchase that will require some serious remodeling but Im up the the challenge. Thanks for the Pinterest link and other recommended resources