Operation Tulip Bulb

by Julie on September 25, 2012 · 12 comments

Every spring I look at tulips popping out all over and think I should really plant some. But when fall rolls around I’m all into mums and pumpkins and the impatient, lazy gardener in me never gets around to planting blubs that I won’t see until next spring.

But this year will be different!

Operation Tulip Bulb is part of Operation Perennial. Ever since it occurred on me that

Annuals = Spending

Perennials = Investing

I’ve made an effort to plant more perennials in my yard.

Unfortunately, this summer’s drought wiped out some of my efforts, but that’s how it goes with investing sometimes, huh?

Ready to press on, I’ve taken the first step and bought two bags of tulip bulbs from Costco. I love the red and pink combination.

So armed only with the directions on the back of the bag and a newspaper clipping titled “Bulb Basics” from The Kansas City Star, I am ready to get them into the ground.

But before I do, I want to ask all of you smart readers: do you have any bulb planting tips?

If you enjoyed this post and would like more, enter your email address in the box below and future posts from The Family CEO will be sent to your email inbox for free. Your email will not be shared. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email:

Teresa September 25, 2012 at 10:55 am

Not a planting tip, but a funny story. This spring, my in-laws were gathered at my bro-in-law’s home which had beautiful tulip beds. My bro-in-law’s little granddaughter came into the house with a huge bouquet of tulips she had picked for her Grandma. The look on their faces were priceless. The little girl so proud and innocent. Grandma choking out ‘thank you, but please don’t pick any more!’ nearly in tears at the loss of her flowers. I’m sure that little girl will hear that story many times as she grows into a women with gardens of her own.

Julie September 25, 2012 at 11:03 am

Aw, so cute, Teresa. But I’m with the little girl…tulips are meant to be picked!

Money Beagle September 25, 2012 at 11:01 am

Two things: First, plant them in bunches, dig a hole that would hold 3-5 and plant them together. They look better that way than individually. Second, if you have deer, take them back to the store, because the deer will eat them. Deers don’t like daffodils as they’re very bitter (tulips are sweet I guess), so if you’re prone to deer, plant those instead. Learned that one the hard way.

Julie September 25, 2012 at 11:04 am

MB, LOL…no deer so we’re safe. Thanks for the bunches tip. That sounds like a winner!

Julie Blanner October 3, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Great tip to plant them together!

Paula @ Afford Anything September 25, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Hahahaha, I had that same thought about annuals vs. perennials myself! But then I changed my mind once I saw how much time I had to spend caring for perennials, vs. the set-it-and-forget-it nature of some annuals. (Of course, that said, I still tend roses, so …. c’est la vie!)

My strongest tip about planting bulbs is to make sure you’ve got GREAT drainage; otherwise the bulb will drown. Dig a 1 ft x 1 ft hole and fill it with water. If it takes more than 30 minutes for the hole to completely drain (so that you don’t see any more water), then I’d recommend adding sand to your soil to improve the drainage time.

Julie September 25, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Paula…great advice. I will definitely do that. Thanks!

Barbara Friedberg September 25, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Okay, this was the kick in the butt I needed. I’m planting tulips!! I did it once in another home and they were miraculous and beautiful!!! I love a beautiful garden :)

Julie September 26, 2012 at 10:42 am

You go, Barb! I don’t like gardening, but like you, I love the results!

Jackie September 26, 2012 at 7:53 am

I have no tips, other than to keep them away from black thumbs like me! You’ll have to share photos when they’re grown :)

Julie September 26, 2012 at 10:43 am

Note to self: keep tulip bulbs away from Jackie. And if they come up in the spring I’ll be posting pics all over. You’ll be sick of them. :)