Adventures in Thrifting: Spring Edition

by Julie on June 10, 2012 · 25 comments

It’s hard to decide what I like best about thrifting.

The savings? Check.

The thrill of the hunt? Definitely.

Finding unique items? I’m hooked.

The green element? Gives me the warm fuzzies.

The characters you see shopping? Always entertaining.

The truth is, it’s all fun to me. Here’s what I’ve brought home from my recent thrifting outings.

These matching planters were serendipitous finds, because I bought them at separate estate sales in the same week. I love the way they go together.

And about that sad stem of rosemary: I’m trying to grow a rosemary topiary using these directions. I think it’s going to be a long road. Advice would be appreciated.

This $2 garage sale plant stand is helping me with my effort to have more live plants in the house.

I got lucky with some clear glass on the last day of an estate sale near my house. The jar on the right is one of the Heritage Hill jars that I recently blogged about.

This empty frame was waiting for me at another estate sale. I have plans for it and I hung it up in my kitchen to check out the spot where it will go. I’m leaving it up until I get to it because I think even empty frames are pretty, although a friend of mine asked me if we had had an art heist of some sort. Funny girl!

I found this stack of oval restaurant plates at Urban Mining Homewares in Kansas City. Since I live in the land of beef and steak houses, I immediately pictured them with steak and baked potatoes on them and I mentally planned that menu for Father’s Day.

The Father’s Day plans are why I had to add this stack of blue bandana print napkins when I saw them. I have never been so prepared for Father’s Day in my life!

Are you a thriftier? Have you uncovered any good finds this spring?

This post is part of Share Your Thrift HaulFlea Market FindsThrifty Treasures, Frugal Friday, Creative Things Thursday, and The William Morris Project.

If you enjoyed this post and would like more, enter your email address in the box below and future posts from The Family CEO will be sent to your email inbox for free. Your email will not be shared. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email:

Verna June 10, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Love those glass jars!

Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage June 10, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Fate that you found such similar planters at two different sales!
Great finds – love those glass jars.
Kelly

Julie June 11, 2012 at 10:02 am

Thank you Verna and Kelly. I can’t pass up a glass jar!

Carla June 10, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Awesome finds!! I love your taste in decor!!

Julie June 11, 2012 at 10:03 am

Aw, Carla, you’re so sweet. Thank you.

Janette@The2Seasons June 11, 2012 at 7:26 am

I love your treasures. The lidded jars will be so versatile.

Julie June 11, 2012 at 10:03 am

I agree, Janette. So much you can do with them.

Teresa June 11, 2012 at 9:22 am

I, too, like thrift shopping for all the reasons you listed. And one more reason you didn’t mention – to help out another. I’m usually the one being helped, as my Mom is great thrifter, but this past weekend was the ‘all-town’ garage sale. I found a pair of hockey skates – my sister is part of the hockey association where she lives and they rent skates to raise funds – so most any size in good shape for a good price is a buy. But thanks to cell phones, I called and found out my nephew was need of gloves and a stick – so I went back to the same sale and picked those up too! Sometimes it take two villages!

Julie June 11, 2012 at 10:05 am

Teresa, how wonderful that your family does that for each other. My mom — who has our famiy’s best eye — has been known to place a call or two like that herself. Thanks for sharing.

barefoot hippie girl June 11, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I found you via simple design’s link up. I love your finds! Especially the jars. Very cool!

Julie June 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm

The jars seem to be the winner. Love the name of your blog!

Rhonda ~ Ramblings of a Southern Girl June 12, 2012 at 8:44 am

Love all your finds! And what a wonderful idea, using the bandannas for your Father’s Day dinner! And I love your “intro in the post,” the highlights of thriftin, …all so very true! :)

Thanks for visiting me and for the kind comments!

Rita@thissortaoldlife June 12, 2012 at 10:13 am

You’ve hit all the best reasons, but another is that the stuff I find thrifting often takes me in some kind of design direction I’d never thought of going. Availability is the mother of my creativity, I guess.

And I prefer estate sales. Prices are a bit higher than garage sales, but I tend to actually find stuff I’d like. I’ve gotten frustrated with driving to lots of garage sales and walking away with nothing. Wastes gas and time. (And we’ve got a Salvation Army store I really like.)

Julie June 12, 2012 at 11:12 am

Oh, Rita, I completely agree. Garage sales are so hit and miss and generally too much trouble. Love your thoughts about availability and creativity.

Sara Tetreault June 12, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I’m with you on all of those reasons and I’m not sure if one outweighs the other although I do love the hunt :) Your home is lovely.

Julie June 12, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Thank you, Sara. :) I love the hunt too. It’s kind of spoiled me for other kinds of shopping!

Lisa @ Mom, Net Mom June 14, 2012 at 10:47 am

My husband & I both love garage sales & thrift stores. Our kids, however, groan (loudly) when we swing the car around at an orange sign flapping on a street sign, or when we pull into another “stinky” second hand store. But, in the end, they are often counting their pennies trying to figure out what undiscovered treasure they may run across. :-)

Julie June 15, 2012 at 3:59 pm

LOL Lisa, I love that.

Kelly June 14, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I like thrifting for all those same reasons, too. Not great pickings in my town, though. (It’s a newer community in the ‘burbs — not much vintage to be had.) Love your jars, the one on the right looks just like our cookie jar growing up.

Julie June 15, 2012 at 4:00 pm

No one ever forgets a cookie jar, do they Kelly?

Courtney June 15, 2012 at 12:36 pm

You’ve got some great finds! That plant stand is lovely, as is everything else. I never think of getting plates, but you are right – those oval ones are perfect for steak and potato meals. I’ll have to remember that.

Julie June 15, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I wish I never thought of getting plates, Courtney. I have a dish obsession/addiction/problem.

amanda @ mommyiscoocoo June 18, 2012 at 8:15 am

Love your pretty frame. I posted about one today. :) Some people don’t get the no picture in the pretty frame look but I do. Thanks for stopping by mommy is coocoo.