A Father’s Day Table Using Thrift Finds

by Julie on June 19, 2012 · 11 comments

I combined several of my recent thrift finds to create the most laid-back Father’s Day table ever.

I earmarked these oval restaurant plates and napkins for Father’s Day as soon as I saw them.

I thought the plates would look best on rectangle placemats to mimic their long, narrow shape, but I didn’t have any placemats in the right color. I used some round, wicker chargers I had and they worked fine.

Trader Joe’s had hydrangeas with just a little blue left in them.

I remembered Ashli @ Mini Manor’s post about using a vase with a wide base to easily angle flower stems, so I used the base of this recently thrifted, lidded glass jar on the left and it worked like a charm. Thank you, Ashli!.

I like pretty tables, but I don’t taking a lot of time to put them together. Having to fuss over a table stresses me out and defeats the relaxed, comfortable entertaining vibe I’m going for.

I’ve found that white dishes, clear glass, and a single kind of flower make putting together a relaxed, pretty table easy almost every time.

And since we’re talking about Father’s Day. Here are the two goofy kids who are lucky to have my husband for a Dad.

I hope you had a wonderful Father’s Day. How did you celebrate?

This post is part of One Project at a TimePenny Pinching Party, Tutorials Tips & Tidbits, and Creative Things Thursday.

If you enjoyed this post and would like more, enter your email address in the box below and future posts from The Family CEO will be sent to your email inbox for free. Your email will not be shared. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Enter your email:

Krantcents June 19, 2012 at 10:15 am

My son and his fiance came over to make brunch for me. They stayed for most of the afternoon where we shared stories and other fun conversation. I thoroughly enjoyed the day.

Julie June 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Krantcents, perfect! I can’t think of a better way to celebrate the day. Happy Father’s Day to you!

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside June 19, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I spent the day working in the yard with my husband on his pond and waterfall! Hey! That’s what he wanted to do! Thanks for sharing!

Julie June 19, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Tammy, simple pleasures. They’re the best. Pond + waterfall = very cool.

Elaine@mortgagefreeinthree.com June 19, 2012 at 3:37 pm

My Dad helped me plasterboard the toddlers bedroom – but I did make his favourite cake for tea and my kids made him hand-made cards (bit heavy on the pink glitter, but the thought was there LOL)

Julie June 19, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I’m sure he loved the cards, Elaine, glitter and all. How sweet that’s he’s helping you in the bedroom. Are you redecorating?

Yvonne @ StoneGable June 21, 2012 at 6:47 am

Thanks for bringing this pretty table to TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS! Great tip about putting hydrangeas in a vase. Love them in the jars!!!!

Imie June 26, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Gosh, those blue napkins are adorable (and your kids). Did you make them from handkerchiefs? Neat!

Julie June 26, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Thanks, Imie. I bought them already made.

Mina Joshi August 16, 2012 at 5:41 am

Your table looks lovely. I love your dark dining chairs. Yes, we celebrated Father’s day by cooking mu hubby’s favourite dishes. But the best was a surprise visit by my son on the day which really made his day.