A Father’s Day Table Using Thrift Finds

by Julie on June 19, 2012 · 11 comments

I combined several of my recent thrift finds to create the most laid-back Father’s Day table ever.

I earmarked these oval restaurant plates and napkins for Father’s Day as soon as I saw them.

I thought the plates would look best on rectangle placemats to mimic their long, narrow shape, but I didn’t have any placemats in the right color. I used some round, wicker chargers I had and they worked fine.

Trader Joe’s had hydrangeas with just a little blue left in them.

I remembered Ashli @ Mini Manor’s post about using a vase with a wide base to easily angle flower stems, so I used the base of this recently thrifted, lidded glass jar on the left and it worked like a charm. Thank you, Ashli!.

I like pretty tables, but I don’t taking a lot of time to put them together. Having to fuss over a table stresses me out and defeats the relaxed, comfortable entertaining vibe I’m going for.

I’ve found that white dishes, clear glass, and a single kind of flower make putting together a relaxed, pretty table easy almost every time.

And since we’re talking about Father’s Day. Here are the two goofy kids who are lucky to have my husband for a Dad.

I hope you had a wonderful Father’s Day. How did you celebrate?

This post is part of One Project at a TimePenny Pinching Party, Tutorials Tips & Tidbits, and Creative Things Thursday.

Krantcents June 19, 2012 at 10:15 am

My son and his fiance came over to make brunch for me. They stayed for most of the afternoon where we shared stories and other fun conversation. I thoroughly enjoyed the day.

Julie June 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Krantcents, perfect! I can’t think of a better way to celebrate the day. Happy Father’s Day to you!

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside June 19, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I spent the day working in the yard with my husband on his pond and waterfall! Hey! That’s what he wanted to do! Thanks for sharing!

Julie June 19, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Tammy, simple pleasures. They’re the best. Pond + waterfall = very cool.

Elaine@mortgagefreeinthree.com June 19, 2012 at 3:37 pm

My Dad helped me plasterboard the toddlers bedroom – but I did make his favourite cake for tea and my kids made him hand-made cards (bit heavy on the pink glitter, but the thought was there LOL)

Julie June 19, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I’m sure he loved the cards, Elaine, glitter and all. How sweet that’s he’s helping you in the bedroom. Are you redecorating?

Yvonne @ StoneGable June 21, 2012 at 6:47 am

Thanks for bringing this pretty table to TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS! Great tip about putting hydrangeas in a vase. Love them in the jars!!!!

Imie June 26, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Gosh, those blue napkins are adorable (and your kids). Did you make them from handkerchiefs? Neat!

Julie June 26, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Thanks, Imie. I bought them already made.

Mina Joshi August 16, 2012 at 5:41 am

Your table looks lovely. I love your dark dining chairs. Yes, we celebrated Father’s day by cooking mu hubby’s favourite dishes. But the best was a surprise visit by my son on the day which really made his day.

{ 1 trackback }