Simple Glass Jars

by Julie on May 17, 2012 · 45 comments

I’m having a love affair with clear glass.

I love that it pretties up and shows off what’s inside.

I especially love these lidded glass canisters/jars.

It turns out they have a name — Heritage Hill Jars — and Anchor Hocking makes them.

I realize this reads like an ad, but it isn’t. No compensation has changed hands, although if Anchor Hocking wants to send me a couple or a hundred of these jars, I won’t complain.

Here are the things that makes these jars so awesome.

1. They’re available everywhere, including Wal-mart and Target. You can just pick them up and put them in your cart, right next to the lightbulbs and frozen pizza.
  2. They’re cheap. At Wal-mart, the giant size is less then $10. The smaller size is $7 and change.
  3. They’re made in the USA.
  4. You can do anything with them. Anything.

Here’s what I mean about reason #4:

Joan at For the Love of a House uses them as cannisters in her New Hampshire kitchen. Oh, you’ve never been to For the Love of a House you say? You have to go. Right now. I’ll wait here.

For the Love of a House

Yvonne at StoneGable uses a big one for a cookie jar. Breakfast cookies, that is. StoneGable is a gloriously beautiful blog. You could get lost in all its wonderfulness for hours.

StoneGable

And Sarah at The Yellow Cape Cod uses them to make terrariums. Delightful terrariums. In the middle of winter even.

The Yellow Cape Cod

My favorite way to use these jars is to have them hold ordinary things that we use everyday. Things like these.

Not very special, right?

But that box of dog treats looks so much better when it’s dumped into an $8 jar.

And it’s handy too, because we get into that jar at least 15 times a day.

In fact, these two know to come running when they hear that jar lid clink.

They won’t allow us to photograph them together. It’s in their contract.

But they’re very disappointed when they hear the clink and we’re not getting out dog cookies, but a fresh bar of soap instead.

Or a scoop of laundry detergent.

See how those everyday things look so much better when you show them off a little?

Honestly, these simple jars make me so happy.

They take ordinary things like flour and cookies and plants and laundry detergent and bath soap and even dog treats and put them on display.

I really don’t think you can ever have to many.

Do you have any of these lidded jars? Did your mom? Or your grandma? How do you use them?

This post is part of Frugal Friday, Finer Things Friday, The William Morris Project, Frugal Friday, and One Project at a Time.

andrea_upnorth May 17, 2012 at 5:55 am

Good idea! I would check out local thrift stores before purchasing new.

Julie May 17, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Andrea, I occasionally see them used, but they’re so cheap to buy new that often there isn’t that much of a cost savings. If I ever see one in a thrift store I will definitely snap it up though!

Elaine@mortgagefreeinthree.com May 17, 2012 at 6:27 am

Oh Pretty!!! makes my ramshackle collection of jam and coffee jars look a little sad.

I like glass though – infinitely recyclable and nicer to look at than my tatty collection of plastic storage containers.

Julie May 17, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Elaine, you make a good point about the recyclability.

Mysti May 17, 2012 at 6:58 am

I love glass containers….totally agree that it makes the ordinary look special! I don’t have any…mostly because of space. But if I had the space…..look out!

I have seen jars at Marshall’s also….sometime you can get them for under $5!

Julie May 17, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Thanks for the tip, Mysti. I’ll keep my eye out.

Karen May 17, 2012 at 7:00 am

I love the look of glass too! I actually have a collection of rectangular glass jars that I can stack. They are on my counter and hold snack foods like peanuts, almonds, chocolate chips, popcorn kernals, wheat germ, brown sugar…The large canisters you have shown though would be a great size for the different types of flours and beans I have in my cupboard. Thanks for sharing and I will check out the two blogs you have suggested. :)

Julie May 17, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Karen, I like that rectangular containers make such a good use of space. Especially if you use them in a pantry. Sounds like you have lots of yummy stuff on your counter!

Sharon May 17, 2012 at 7:45 am

Oh my, Julie they do look so much better! I LOVE the idea of the soaps…So often we are unwrapping a soap as the shower is running…

I especially love the plants inside…they look great!

Julie May 17, 2012 at 1:03 pm

The soap thing is great, Sharon. Plus, I always know when we’re running low.

Bestmommy May 17, 2012 at 8:35 am

Great idea for things you use often. Keeping those items handy and attractive at the same time can be a challenge. I use a rectangular glass canister to store my coffee. It fits perfectly on the counter next to the coffee maker and I always know when I need to replenish my supply. There’s no excuse for running out of coffee at our house!

Julie May 17, 2012 at 1:04 pm

You’ve hit on another great benefit of them, Bestmommy. I’m not a coffee drinker, but I’ll bet it’s no fun to open up the can and find there isn’t enough left to make a full pot.

Teresa May 17, 2012 at 9:08 am

My sister gave me a terrarium jar – but planted right in the jar. After several years of inattentiveness on my part it looked pretty ratty. It was nice for a long time, tho. I really like the idea for cannisters. They match the decor no matter how many times you move or redecorate.

Julie May 17, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Exactly, Teresa. No orange canisters with mushroom lids, like we had in the 70s.

Christa May 17, 2012 at 9:17 am

I love the terrarium idea — my cats eat my plants, so I cannot house them indoors anymore. This is the perfect solution!

Julie May 17, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Christa, I remember so many comments on the plant post about cats. Yours may have been one of them. This would be a great solution!

idreamofdownsizing May 17, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I love these! Mine have done duty for lots of different things and are currently in use in the craft room. A huge one for ribbon. A medium one for bias tape, rick rack and the like. Three small ones for buttons, thread and various things like straight pins, tape measures, etc.

Julie May 17, 2012 at 2:49 pm

What a great idea for these. I’ll bet the sewing stuff looks so colorful in them.

CincyCat May 21, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I second this idea. I currently have glass jars on a shelf above my sewing desk for storage. A large one holds spools of thread, and smaller jars hold bobbins, safety pins, straight pins, buttons, etc.

Julie May 22, 2012 at 9:02 am

I really love this idea. Having jars that show off your hobby materials is so interesting. I’d love to see a pic sometime if either of you girls is so inclined.

Melissa@HomeBaked May 17, 2012 at 10:12 pm

We have a couple of these for sugar and flour, but overpaid for them at Crate & Barrel! I was so frustrated when I saw them at Walmart! I love the look of them, but am wary of getting them for anything the kids might regularly need to open because the lids are relatively heavy. In a few more years!

Julie May 18, 2012 at 9:11 am

Yeah, little kids and heavy glass don’t really mix, do they? Sorry about your frustration. They do kind of have a Crate and Barrel look at a Wal-mart price.

for the love of a house May 18, 2012 at 8:19 am

hi Julie! Thank you for the shout-out!! It really is hard to believe that all that goodness is only $10 isn’t it?!!! I loved all your photos on how people used them! I, too, have a small one that matches the large ones on the counter by the red lamp with cookies for Ella! Like your precious pups- just move the lid and she comes running!!
happy weekend!
joan

Julie May 18, 2012 at 9:13 am

Happy weekend to you and Ella too, Joan. You’re right…so much goodness for $10.

May May 18, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I love how you are making use of these. It celebrates the beauty of the everyday. And doesn’t that help elevate the mundane chore a bit as well?

Julie May 18, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Yes, it does, May. Absolutely.

Dusa May 18, 2012 at 8:00 pm

My grandmother had a rectangular lidded jar that she kept her Dove and Camay soaps in…every time I smell Dove soap, I think of her and her great home.

Julie May 18, 2012 at 9:06 pm

That is such a sweet memory, Dusa.

Susan P May 19, 2012 at 6:31 am

What pretty uses for glass jars, I love the terrarium. I have the large lidded ones filled with grains and sugar. I use glass canning jars too for smaller quantities. I have Quart size canning jars for spices, I use small glass jelly jars for the kid’s lunches instead of tupperware. Putting things in glass jars is so practical and it makes ordinary objects special!

Julie May 21, 2012 at 10:25 am

How great that you use jelly jars for kids lunches. And I’m learning to love canning jars for all kinds of things too.

Carla May 19, 2012 at 2:18 pm

You make me wanna run out & buy glass jars!! lol! I think my kids would be like your dogs with cookies… lol!!

Julie May 21, 2012 at 10:27 am

Carla, at least you’d know when the kids were in the cookies,
. The sound would give them away.

Hunter May 20, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Glass jars look great Julie. They definitely offer a clean airy look, modern or traditional. Great photographs!

Julie May 21, 2012 at 10:28 am

Good point, Hunter. They go with any style of decor.

Luann November 29, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Julie-those dogs are looking mighty expensive

Julie November 29, 2012 at 10:16 pm

You have no idea! ;)

Gerard December 14, 2012 at 7:55 am

I think a lot of the appeal here is that you got rid of the original packaging, which is so sell-heavy… it’s like being yelled at in your own house!

Julie January 5, 2013 at 9:20 am

Agree 100% Gerard.

Shelley @ Calypso in the Country January 5, 2013 at 8:53 am

So many cute ideas! I just found your blog and am loving it!
-Shelley

Julie January 5, 2013 at 9:20 am

Welcome, Shelley. Thanks for your nice comment.

Alessandro March 11, 2013 at 9:42 am

Hi There,
your post is very useful.. but I have just a question….
What about the fact that theese jars have no RUBBER-GASKET on the lid???
I read a lot of posts about these jars and a lot of people think they are not intended to contain food (because of the glass flakes they can generate by the direct contact between lid and jar).
Do you know where can I find plastic-gasket for these jars on the internet?

Thx
regards.

Julie March 11, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Alessandro, good question. I’m sorry, I don’t know where you can find a rubber gasket to fit the jars. If anyone else knows, maybe they’ll chime in.