A Raised Bed Garden in the City

by Julie on May 8, 2012 · 15 comments

Centsational Girl is having a “Look What I Planted” party and I’m cheating just a bit. Because this post isn’t about what I planted, but what school children planted instead.

My husband and I stumbled on this charming garden of raised beds while in the Brookside neighborhood of Kansas City last weekend.

The plants were all spring varieties, like peas, herbs, and this lettuce.

I checked the website of the school and discovered that the kids did, indeed, do the planting.

Some of the beds were empty and I’m wondering if they’ll contain summer veggies later in the season.

I loved this bed of herbs.

We discovered the garden because it was right next to an art fair we were at, the Brookside Art Fair.

The Brookside Art Fair is held every Spring but this was our first time attending. I loved the neighborhood feel of it.

There were food stands, music, and lots of kids and dogs, which made it especially fun.

But the highlight for me was this unexpected garden in the middle of the city.

I love the look of raised beds, do you? Have you ever gardened with them?

the cape on the corner May 8, 2012 at 8:22 am

that is so great! i love how there are table and chairs that encourage people to sit and enjoy the gardens!

Julie May 8, 2012 at 8:59 am

I love that too. I wonder if classes ever eat lunch out there?

Pam @ diy Design Fanatic May 8, 2012 at 10:21 am

How awesome! Raised beds are a good solution for gardening and make it so much easier. I expanded our raised beds this year and everything is growing wonderfully.

Julie May 8, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Pam, I’m glad to hear that raised beds are easier, in addition to looking great. I’ll bet your garden looks wonderful!

Tackling Our Debt May 8, 2012 at 11:26 am

I love raised garden beds. They look easier to manage. And the fair looked like so much fun. I wish we had fairs like that in our city.

Julie May 8, 2012 at 3:03 pm

The art fair was a lot of fun, despite a very, very muggy night.

Sara Tetreault May 9, 2012 at 9:35 am

What a great use of a big, ugly parking lot! Yes, we have raised beds and I love them. They’re great for growing veggies and you don’t have to bend over quite as far! :)

Julie May 10, 2012 at 10:14 am

My back loves that “not bending over as far” part, Sara.

101 Centavos May 10, 2012 at 5:05 am

Those are some well made beds. The high sides are good for public display. Just to be the critical one, the herb bed could use a little more mulch. My guess is that being a remote garden, it doesn’t get as much attention as a one right in someone’s immediate zone.

@Sara @Pam —- pleased to see other PF Gardeners…

Julie May 10, 2012 at 10:17 am

All of you gardeners have my admiration.

Christa May 10, 2012 at 8:32 am

I really want to do a raised garden in my backyard next year. This year is “The Year of the Baby,” but next year I think I can budget for at least one of these types of raised beds for my favorite veggies.

Julie May 10, 2012 at 10:18 am

Babies do have a way of changing our priorities, Christa. I Iike your current project better. :)

Little House May 10, 2012 at 8:58 am

I love the look of raised beds, they seem much more organized! I think it’s terrific that a school is supporting gardening through something like this. Many times I ride near a school with a pitifully neglected garden area. It takes work and dedication to have a nice and useful garden.

Julie May 10, 2012 at 10:19 am

They do have a more organized, uniform look, LH. I like that about them too.

{ 1 trackback }