New Kiva Loan. Agriculture in Uganda

by Julie on February 27, 2012 · 9 comments

Muzamil in Uganda

Last year I wrote about Kiva, a wonderful organization with a mission to “connect people through lending to alleviate poverty.”

My boss at the time provided the original investment of $100 and as loans have been made and repaid, I have the opportunity to lend the same $100 out again and again, in $25 increments.

Last week Kiva sent me an email that a loan had been repaid and I had money in my account to lend. The next loan is going to Muzamil in Uganda. Here’s his bio:

Muzamil is 24 years old and rears goats. He has been rearing goats for one year and he is very hard working which manifested in the fact that he started with one goat now he has twenty goats in one year of being in the business. He faces challenges of theft and high inflation. His family goal is to build a permanent house and buy a car. His business goal is to diversify his business by rearing cattle and expand his business to new areas. Muzamil needs the money to buy goats for sell.

Amazing story!

You can lend money through Kiva to Muzamil or someone like him. In the areas of the world where Kiva lends, a very small amount of money goes a long way, especially when combined with other micro loans.

You can see my original post and the bios of the people my loans have gone to here.

Have you had experience with Kiva or a similar organization? Talk about it in the comments.

Note: The links in this post are my invitation links, but they are not affiliate links. They will simply connect us on Kiva. If you’d prefer to go to Kiva directly, you can do that here.

Teresa February 27, 2012 at 8:14 am

I’ve made 2 loans to Working Capital for Community Needs – http://www.capitalforcommunities.org. While I can’t choose an individual to receive the loan, I do get to read about some of the success stories. So far, I’ve left my original loan amounts in the system to be re-loaned. But I’ve kept my interest payments – they are my ‘found money’ that I use for fun or gifts or some project I’m saving for. I totally recommend micro loans like these. It feels good in so many ways.

Julie February 27, 2012 at 11:34 am

Teresa, I hadn’t hear for that organization until now. I’ll have to check it out.

Suzita @ playfightrepeat.com February 27, 2012 at 10:37 am

Last year I wrote a post about teaching my kids about microfinance through making Kiva loans. They each were given $25 gift certificates for Kiva as Christmas gifts. First I explained to them about microfinance by reading them the children’s book, One Hen: How One Small Loan Made a Big Difference, by Katie Smith Milway. Then I explained to them how Kiva works. The unexpected part for me as a parent was how seriously my kids went about picking someone to lend to. They thought long and hard about this. Then after they’d made the loan, they continued to think about the person, look at their home on the map, and talk about how their work might be going, for quite a while. It was really sweet.

Each of my kids has had their initial loan repaid now, and has gone on to lend to another Kiva recipient.

Julie February 27, 2012 at 11:33 am

Suzita, what a fabulous experience for your family. That children’s book sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Ella February 28, 2012 at 9:02 am

This concept is fantastic. I think I will set up a Kiva account as soon as my next pay day arrives! :-)

Julie February 28, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Ella…wonderful! I think you’ll really enjoy it. Such a great opportunity to make a big difference with a small amount of money.

Ella February 29, 2012 at 1:22 am

I tried to set up an account but in the form it asked “Email referred by” Is it where I should write your email address?

WorkSaveLive February 28, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I’ve heard about Kiva but haven’t personally used it yet. It’s great to know that you’ve had success! Thanks for sharing.

I’ll be sure to bookmark Kiva and as our giving increases over time I’ll certainly consider using this!

Young Professional Finances February 28, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I have a rotating $50 in Kiva that I loan out. I love it! I’m glad I can help out – and soon, I’d like to put more money in.