Frugal Things to Hang and Frame: Plates and Platters

by Julie on February 9, 2012 · 14 comments

Last October I did a post called 9 Cheap (or Free) Sources of Artwork. That’s kind of an awkward post title, don’t you think?

So recently I changed it to 9 Frugal Things to Hang and Frame, which has a better ring to it but still gets the point across.

One of the things I mentioned in that post was hanging plates.

Plates have a lot of advantages when used in decorating.

• A little-used decorative plate or platter is something you probably already have on hand. If not, it’s easy enough to get one for a good price at almost store that carries kitchenware or home decor.
  • They’re cheap and easy to hang. I used to invest in those metal plate racks, but I don’t even do that any more, as you’ll see.
  • And if you decide you need them, you can pull them right off the wall, give them a good washing, and put them to work serving food, the way nature intended.

The easiest way I’ve found to hang plates is using these little plate hanging discs that you can get at Michael’s or Hobby Lobby or probably any craft store. They come in five sizes and you can see how cheap they are, even before the 40% off coupon that those places regularly offer.

All you need to do is put a very little bit of water on the back and let it sit for a bit to activate the glue.

Adhere it to the back of a clean plate and let it dry overnight.

The next day, give the ring a little tug to make sure it’s secured. Then it’s ready to hang.
 If you decide to press the plate back into service permanently, the disk will slip right off after a little soak in warm water.

So far I’ve hung plates in the “eating rooms” — the kitchen and the dining room — but I’ve seen them hung in all kinds of spaces so I may branch out in the future.

Have you used plates in your decor? What’s your favorite frugal thing to hang or frame?

This post is part of Potpourri Friday and Frugal Fridays.

Kim | At Home With Kim February 10, 2012 at 4:47 am

Hi Julie, Love your blog and it’s concept! Looking forward to being a regular reader… I’ve seen this same concept done in bedrooms {especially guest bedrooms}. LOVE it! Great tutorial on HOW to actually hang the plates. Great post.

Julie February 13, 2012 at 10:46 am

Hi Kim. Our bedroom is actually a place I’ve considered doing this.

Audrey @ Mom Drop Box February 10, 2012 at 11:55 am

So pretty Julie. I’ve never hung plates but I’m going to think about it after seeing this!

Julie February 13, 2012 at 10:44 am

It’s sooo easy to do, Audrey.

Spend Well Media February 11, 2012 at 1:19 am

Hi..I’ve never done that before but I love your concept. I will definitely try this. Nice tutorial, thanks for sharing!

Julie February 13, 2012 at 10:43 am

Thanks. Let us know how it goes and how you like the results.

Laura Vanderkam February 13, 2012 at 10:30 am

I went and read the post on 9 frugal things to hang — I love the maps and the sheet music. We put up a music stand with some antique-ish looking sheet music in the living room and I love the way it looks. I’d add that your kids don’t have to be the only ones doing art that’s worthy of framing! You could do something abstract with paints, or take close-up photos of interesting objects (angled looking at a flower), or copies of old botanical drawings… We have a framed photo of some bright red maple leaves on a stone that we blew up and hung on the wall. Looks artsy enough!

Julie February 13, 2012 at 10:41 am

Excellent point, Laura. Sounds like your home has some wonderful, creative touches. Thanks for the reminder about adult artwork being framable too!

Mary February 13, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Hi Julie,

I am really enjoying your blog. Love the ideas for hanging things on the wall. Yes – I love hanging plates/platters. I also like hanging my son’s artwork from when he was young. I usually just use inexpensive Lucite frames. They look adorable.

I also like to use decorative hooks to hang different things on the wall. For example, in our living room, I have an old pewter hook with a religious motif. Hanging from it are large wooden handmade rosary beads that belonged to my Italian grandfather. They are beautiful to look at but also sentimental.

Have a great week.

Love,
Mary

Julie February 14, 2012 at 9:11 am

Mary, those ideas are wonderful. the rosary beads must be so special.

Barb Huhn February 15, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Hi–Wonderful article on using the Invisible English Plate Hanger Discs. I import them and they can also be found on eBay and Amazon under my name–eBarb. Thanks very much!
Sincerely,