Personal Finance Roundup: Stock Market Plunge Edition

by Julie on August 5, 2011 · 11 comments

Yesterday, the Dow dropped 512 points, erasing all the gains the market had made so far during 2011. As I write this, I don’t yet know what the markets will do on Friday.

I used Thursday as a buying opportunity. Typing that makes me feel so financially sophisticated. Don’t be fooled. I know just enough to be dangerous. More on that next week.

For now, here are some posts I found interesting from around the web.

• The Secret to Building Wealth Most People Ignore @ Frugal Dad. I can’t tell you how much I loved this post. And judging from the comments, lots of others did too. In fact, don’t neglect to read the comments on this post. There’s a really good discussion going on there.
  • Rent and Save Money on College Textbooks @ Financial Success for Young Adults. This post was timely for us, as my daughter ordered her books for the fall semester this week. She ending up renting quite a few, which is a first for her. She also had a friend tell her about a textbook rental site this week. Seems this is becoming a real trend.
  • 50 Simple Money Ideas @ One Cent at a Time. There is a lot of wisdom in these ideas. My favorite is #26: Family first, money second. (Note: English is not SB’s first, or even second language. He does a fabulous job expressing himself, but this fact may be helpful to keep in mind as you read his posts.)

The Family CEO on Other Sites

In addition to The Family CEO, I’m a staff writer at Passive Family Income and a Customer Columnist at PerkStreet Financial. Here are my recent posts on those sites:

Also, an article I wrote for Demand Media is now being featured on The Houston Chronicle’s website. You can read it here:

Happy Friday, everyone. Hope your 401(k) doesn’t end up looking too scary!

Hunter @ Financially Consumed August 5, 2011 at 11:02 am

Great round-up Julie. Have a great weekend, and I look forward to reading about your Friday buying next week.

Julie August 5, 2011 at 1:10 pm

It’ll be up Monday, Hunter. Biting my fingernail while I watch the markets today. You have a good weekend, too. Thanks for being a reader.

SB @ One Cent At A Time August 5, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Thanks for promotion. English is not my forte and that is why I do not offer guest posts on other blogs.

Trying to improve my writing skills, stay tuned I will do better. :)

Julie August 5, 2011 at 1:09 pm

SB, I think you do great. Especially considering I don’t even know two languages, let alone three. I just wanted anyone new to your blog to know that.

Jeff @ Sustainable life blog August 5, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Great round up, way to have some stones to buy when the market is down!

Julie August 5, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Lol. Thanks Jeff…I think.

Financial Success For Young Adults August 6, 2011 at 8:27 am

Awesome! Thanks for the mention!

Shannyn August 7, 2011 at 9:41 am

You should feel sophisticated! I still haven’t gotten into buying stocks- for now I just contribute to my Roth and pay for grad school but I’m thinking I need to put my big girl britches on and start getting into it- not sure where to start yet because of course I’m worried about hidden fees, etc. Loved all the links you share!

Julie August 8, 2011 at 9:50 am

Shannyn, mutual funds and index funds are still my first choice for investing. This is just something I’ve always wanted to try. You’re young…contributing to a Roth and paying for grad school are great investments in your future.

Evan August 7, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I feel like I don’t have the guts to stay out of the market…I keep shoving money into the market b/c I am afraid to miss one of those 5% positive days….

Julie August 8, 2011 at 9:46 am

Funny, Evan…most people don’t have the guts to get INTO the market. If I had more to invest I’d be buying again. Everything’s on sale!