When did our wallets get so fat? My 15 year-old son just started carrying a wallet, the sum contents of which are a driver’s license, a library card, cash, and the occasional gift card. My wallet, on the other hand, has all of those, along with credit and debit cards, a health insurance card, and all of the store reward cards you see here.
The store reward cards, in particular, started to drive me crazy. I could never find what I was looking for in the checkout line and I was tired of my fat wallet. But as the person who does most of the purchasing for my family, I needed them. They save us a lot of money. If you suffer from the same dilemma, here are some tips I’ve discovered to help tame my ever-growing collection of store reward cards.
- Put any gift cards – the kind that are actually the same as cash – in with your money. Since they work the same as money, having them there will separate them from the rest of the cards that don’t and help you remember to use them when you’re paying.
- Separate your most-used reward cards from the rest of the pack and put them with your credit/debit cards, driver’s license, and other regularly used cards. For me, the most-used reward cards are grocery store and drug store reward cards, as well as membership cards to Sam’s and Costco.
- Put your lesser-used cards in a less prominent place in your wallet. I think of my wallet like real estate. I have a prominent, easily-accessed place for cards (high dollar real estate) and that is where my most- used cards go so I can find them quickly. I also have another, less convenient spot for cards in my wallet (second tier real estate) and that is where my lesser-used reward cards (pet, office supply, sporting goods stores, etc.) go.
- Another option is to remove your lesser-used cards from your wallet completely and put them in a separate zipper case, like the one pictured here. You can even alphabetize them so you can locate them easily when you’re in the checkout line.
- Remember, some stores let you access your rewards account with a phone number or email address. I routinely use this option at the stores that will let me so I don’t have to get out the card at all.
Do you have a good organizational solution for your reward cards? Can you recognized the cards in this picture? I’ll be you have a lot of them in your own wallet!